Sunday, February 26, 2012

Odds and Ends

I've been calling around every PetSmart in the area for the past two weeks and still, can't seem to get my hands on a cresty.

I had a bit more luck at the local Pet Depot. I found them way more helpful than the other locations I've tried so far, although I may have just gotten lucky since the girl I spoke with actually has a crested gecko. (Side not, she was pretty, too!) I learned a bit about their suppliers, which is also more reassuring. They get their cresties from a Canadian breeder and she tells me they arrive as hatchlings, which is perfect! It's definitely better than hearing that "they're really tiny when we get them"... because, you know, +1 for using proper terms. I can have one ordered specifically, but I have to put a down payment on it. Both good and bad in my opinion. One the right, they would then be actively involved and perhaps try a little harder to get me one. On the left, I could still get time-shafted. I mean, from what I've been hearing at every other store I've visited, they're waiting on the breeders (a likely story?). I've been thinking about it, and though it might cost me a little more, if I can in a hatchling, (ACTUALLY get one in) I'm all for it! If the clerk's cuteness and helpfulness was any indication, it'll be just fine. (Yeah, that makes sense to me... and speaks volumes...)

I sis learn a couple other fun factoids too. I probably got suckered into buying the UV light. Heck, I figured out that much before talking with the Pet Depot clerk (Emily?) about it, but then I hear that cresties can actually get sun burned?! Dafuq is up with that? If that's true, it's a strike against that goon at PetSmart (I'm sorry, you're at work, in a professional place, take off the face metal, maybe??) who sold me it. That'll learn me.

Emily(?) also feeds her gecko Repashy, which might be sold at Big Al's! At least, the one in Kanata (?) sells it. But hey, there's always online order. She also feeds gut buster crickets, but not every day. Oh, silly gecko dietary plans. I'm starting to think it's just a long-running joke.

I told her about the rest of my set-up, though, and she agreed with it. +1 for me.

I'm going back this Wednesday to place my order and I'd love to ask her about some of the other products I bought. I may have some extra junk lying around once all is said and done! Call it an investment for future herps. Or, you know, a waste of cash. Blah.


Oh, and I've been trying to find a way to link to this blog, but I can't. So here's the link to Exo-Terra's Sri Lanka expedition. Looks pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment