Friday, May 4, 2012

Back From Vacation and Right Back Into It...

The lack of posts over the last week and a half would definitely be caused by the fact that I was in Halifax, visiting a friend. But this is not a travel blog, so I will dispense with the details.

A couple updates for now, but they're not small updates.

Firstly, I have been doing research and have decided that in the coming years I will be buying a Ridge-Tail Monitor, more commonly called an Ackie. It's an Australian species of dwarf monitor that grows to about 2' (60 cm) in length, most of that being tail. They're very energetic, active and inquisitive. The other cool thing about getting this animal is that no tank on the market will do to hold it; I must go into the realm of custom-built tanks. Don't think I'm serious? I'm going to the hardware store today.
The tank definitely has to come first. I might even have it for a year or so before I decide it's good enough to get the ackie. The tank dimensions will be (L x H x W) 4' x 3' x 2 or 3' (still on the fence about the width). It's a bit bigger than recommended for a single monitor, but hey, maybe I'll get two. If not, no problem. Lots of room to grow big and strong.
I've already done a couple preliminary sketches for the overall construction plan, which I will post in a bit. I guess those three years of architectural technology are paying off!

Second bit of new; after much head-scratching and the purchase of a tube of aquarium silicone, which I will be saving for my ackie tank, I've realized that the solution to the wire problem with my plastic plants is simple. Hot glue gun. It dries hard and so shouldn't be a problem, as long as I let it cure properly. Thanks for the advice, mom.

Thirdly, and this one is unfolding presently, I'm getting a Leopard Gecko.
"But Zach, why not save the cash for the awesome ackie?". True, very true. I would totally agree, if I were paying anything at all.
A friend of my mom is giving it away because her daughter left for Vancouver and couldn't bring it along.
It's seven years old, really well behaved, and it comes with all the fixin's. In truth, I wanted to do a bit more research into leos and get a proper space set up, but some people aren't good at handling the "pushy saleswoman" type. Long story short, I'm getting the gecko today.
Already, I'm making plans to change up it's habitat. I'm told it uses a heating rock, which have been know to malfunction and fry lizards. I'll be changing it up for an under-tank heater. Also, I plan on changing the substrate to something more friendly, assuming it's something like Calci-sand, which I have recently learned to be a pretty dangerous product.
I'm thinking of a name like Lokar. It sounds interesting.

Pics to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment