Saturday, May 5, 2012

Leopard Gecko Upgrade

Dug out more goodies from the basement today.

Firstly, I vinegarred and scrubbed my old collard lizard tank. I should also note here that in my last post, I said I was soakign the log and rock in vinegar. This is not literally true. It was a solution of about 10% to 20% vinegar diluted in water. Very important.

I also found the bestest (truly) rock kicking around my basement. Don't ask why there are rocks in my basement. My family collects strange things. For example, I have a carousel horse down there. But I digress.
The rock I found will definitely suit Bronka's needs for the moment, but once I start the decoration phase of my ackie monitor project, this rock will make a great component for the Rete's Stack.

What's a Rete's Stack, you ask? It's this cool little bit of herpetocultural ingenuity. It's traditionaly a stack of ply wood boards, spaced about and inch to an inch and a half apart, stacked maybe five or six high with access to each level.

Photo by Pro Exotics
 
It's a great little piece of furniture! Not only does it make a decent hide, when placed under a heat lamp it gives the reptile a gradient of temperature to choose from. I've seen some nice twists on this concept, my favorite being one made out of slate.

Photo by dannyj and posted in a thread on Reptile Forums UK
The rock I have is slightly thicker but holds heat nicely and has some really interesting metallic veins in it. For now though, it will be put to good use as a nice solid substrate for Bronka, as show.

With the added space of the larger tank, I've had no trouble spreading out the furnishings to my liking. I'll even be able to add a foam piece one day. Bronka has also taken to the log and the way I laid it over the Exo-Terra cave. For the full set of images, I'd rather just redirect to the Photo Bucket slide show I will be adding to my home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment