Saturday, October 27, 2012

Leopard Gecko Build (part 3)


Finally, some new pics of my first rock outcrop project!


As is clearly shown, I have painted my rocky outcropping and I've even managed to seal it. Heck, I've even managed to put a nick in it! Fortunately for me, it's in the back, where it won't be visible.

For a bit of an idea of the price of this part of my build, check out my quick break down:
-Rona Sanded Grout: 10.00$
-Rona No Sheen Grout Sealant: 10.00$
-Liquitex Matte Varnish: 20.00$

Throw in some left-over acrylic paint and some old brushes I had kicking around, and there you have it.

All I really have left to do now is give it a bit of a washing, but only once I touch up my little ding. I was going to put on a third coat of varnish, but after the second, I find that it starts to get a little cloudy. Since I don't intend on this piece to go in a humid environment, I think two coats should do just fine. The Liquitex is made for outdoor use, after all.

Quick fun fact; i made some crappy little cave paintings inside, just for funzies.

This build turned out way bigger than I had originally anticipated! I will definitely need a new tank soon. Thankfully, Christmas is just around the corner! I'm thinking possibly one of Exo-Terra's new Low models, but that's going to depend on prices.

I digress; next post on this particular project will be the conclusion post, wherein I will give a total break down of what I used and what I would not use again, as well as helpful tips for getting a natural finish and how to avoid annoying bubbles in your varnish!

5 comments:

  1. Did you have any troubles with sanded grout? My problem is that the grouting, as soon as I move any pieces or bump them or anything, all the grout chips off!! I've wasted so much time, and spent over $200 doing all this to make it perfect only so my work can be ruined by the grout. Any suggestions why it's chipping apart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hey Rebecca, thanks for the question! I have had this problem myself to some extent. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to try non-sanded grout (not much time/spare cash), so I can't honestly compare the two. After some research, I found this forum post (http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=159059) claiming sanded grout is stronger than non sanded, and should be applied first, though some posters claim to use nothing but sanded grout.

      All I can safely say is, if you're using foam as the skeleton, you've got a soft interior with a rigid exterior coating. That doesn't make for an extremely rugged build (as I've learned, sadly). But putting enough layers on might help this situation.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much, will have a look at the link :)

    I love your rock hide by the way, it looks very natural and SO much better than that crap you see in the pet store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My gecko loves it too. I'm excited to make another one; I just got another pair of leos. I want my next one to be a little more technical and have a dish holder for the moist hide.

      Delete